All Night Long (All Night)
Saturday 9: All Night Long (All Night)
(because Lia asked for an 80s song)
If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
1) This music video was produced by Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. Can you name a Monkees song? All I could think of was The Monkees theme song. I used to love the intro to that show. I had to look up other songs they sang and then I recognized a bunch of them. One of my favorites was Daydream Believer.
2) The song includes the foreign sounding phrases, “Oh jambali Tom bo li d, say de moi ya,” and “Oh, Jambo Jumbo!” Mr. Richie meant to include language indigenous to the Caribbean, but was writing the song under deadline and simply made those phrases up instead. Tell about the most recent time you cheated or “cut corners.” Just tonight I didn’t feel like chopping up garlic to put on our salmon so I used garlic powder instead. It’s much better with chopped up garlic but oh well.
4) When this song topped the charts (September 1983), Vanessa Williams became the first African American to be crowned as Miss America. Do you watch beauty pageants? No, I can’t stand that kind of show. I remember when beauty pageants were more of a big deal than they are today. I did used to watch them with my family because it was the thing to do then.
5) Since it’s Labor Day weekend, that holiday established to celebrate the American worker, let’s talk about the workplace. Tellers work in a bank, actors work on a stage or a set, auto workers work on an assembly line. How would you describe your workplace? Dirty houses? And also a place of worship. Quite a combo.
6) An estimated 40% of us have dated a coworker. Have you ever had an office romance? Yep, but it wasn’t like some dirty little secret. He worked in another department and the company we worked for was big. Actually, there were a lot of people who met their spouse at that company.
9) When you look back on Summer 2014, what will you remember? Our trip to St. Louis, visiting Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store, seeing the World’s Largest Ball of Twine and one of the Largest Frying Pans. We had a fun summer!